Friday, January 3, 2014

How to use anthology participation to get clips & free PR. Tips & submission info. One deadline is today.




Happy New Year!


As we welcome 2014, I would like to thank you for reading this book blog and our ezine www.issuu.com/bloggertime. The word has been getting around. As a result, I have had a great deal of requests.

At the same time, I know that some of our visitors are aspiring writers, too. If you have not put pen to paper yet, but you would like to gain experience, have you considered networking and keeping abreast of forthcoming anthologies? Submitting to anthologies can be extremely productive. While blogging is great, it does not neccesarily help aspiring writers to practice how to submit work professionally. Also, building an effective network is important. It is virtually impossible to hear about every announced opportunity yourself. If you are not a member of any local writer's groups, consider following publishers, experts and seasoned writers who are active on social media.

In my early days of being a recent college graduate who majored in English, I recall a friend giving a magazine subscription to me. It turned out that I became a fan of the publication, and I gained a new writing exercise tradition. I never sent in a submission, but I did develop more confidence through choosing a specific subject and staying in the parameters of 500 words to explore it. At least I knew what it creatively felt like to tinker with a word count. That lesson never left me.

Years later, after suddenly losing my mother, I submitted a story to 'Chicken Soup,' after a fellow writer told me that the company was accepting submissions. I filed it in the back of my mind. Then, I closed off the world one day and poured my heart out onto paper. I never expected to make it to the first stage of stories that were under consideration, and I most certainly did not expect to see my name in the same line as Queen Latifah's and other noted individuals who were a part of the project.

Writing is tough. Rejection is not easy. However, a persistent writer recovers from the word "no" to find a "yes." If you desire to practice your craft, while building your portfolio, becoming a contributing writer can be an effective stepping stone. Plus, if you participate in a project, your inclusion may also lead to free publicity and new networking options, which can be an added benefits. Exposure is often a bigger reward than pay. Some opportunities may pay modestly, while others may offer credit and a specific number of free, printed copies. You may also note that you would typically not be obligated to pay for promotion, but a driven publisher would lead the way, taking your name and bio with them. This can be a nice perk. In another experience, I participated in a project that was picked up by a publisher. When that occurred, it helped to give me more credibility in the genre of my published books. Plus, new readers looked me up.

Even now, I keep my eyes open to submit my work to reputable companies. While I do not specifically endorse any publisher, I would like to cite 4 examples as proof that options are out there. My blogging and book reviewing platform will change this year, so I decided to take a moment to tie together advice of every expert that was featured in Grove Street. You may visit back issues to find tips, and check the blog. Implementation is important. The usefulness of tools can only go so far, if we are not committed to using them.


1.) Do you have a flair for writing about dogs, cats, rebooting your life or forgiveness? Take a look at Chicken Soup's call for submissions.

http://www.chickensoup.com/form.asp?cid=possible_books

Two deadlines are January 5th.


2.) Do you have an inspirational quote to offer? Hurry. One deadline is today! Carla M. Dean is a popular, freelance editor who has worked with many new and seasoned writers. She is branching out to establish her own publishing company called Artistic Words Publishing. Although http://artisticwordspublishing.com/ is under construction, 'INSIDE MY MIND: Axioms For Life' will be Carla's first published book. Like a true pro, she has been promoting it for a while, but I also stumbled upon a message.


Please see below:


"ATTENTION: Here's your opportunity to have your inspirational or motivational quote included in my book, INSIDE MY MIND: Axioms For Life - Book. The quote must be original and not someone else's words.


For authors, this will be a great way to gain exposure, as your name and the title of your book will be listed underneath your quote. For others, this is a chance for you to share your words of wisdom on a larger scale and hopefully encourage others to live a more positive life.


Please send your quotes to submissions@artisticwordspublishing.com with the subject line "Inside My Mind Quote Submission". Also, please include your name, city, state, occupation, and if you're an author, the title of your book. If your quote is accepted for inclusion in my book, you will be notified via email.


DEADLINE JANUARY 3RD.


Uplift others in order to be lifted."



Reference:

https://m.facebook.com/InsideMyMindAxiomsForLife?id=532739283465297&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch&_rdr


3.) Jan Moran is currently seeking success stories and 'rich ideas.' Who is she?

http://www.janmoranwrites.com/2013/12/10/rich-ideas-call-success-story-submissions-entrepreneurs/ Her inspiring story of doing business with Sephora, bringing Scentsa to life, and penning books feels good to read as new goals emerge in 2014. Take a look at her track record in entrepreneurship. http://www.janmoranwrites.com/2013/12/18/a-founders-story-sephoras-new-beauty-technology/


4.) Are you a veteran who wants to write, or are you close to one? Black Star News reported details regarding a forthcoming project via Prashanti Press.

http://www.blackstarnews.com/us-politics/justice/book-publisher-seeks-submissions-from-veterans-of-iraqafghanistan-wars.html

http://www.prashanti10.com/


As I recover from a holiday party (surgery), I want to wish you well with your writing goals, while revisiting mine, too.


Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment