Friday, April 25, 2014

Author Victoria Warren Jackson stops by to discuss 'Untraditional Love In The Dark' and more.






Andrea: Do you have a favorite book that you've written? If so, why?



Victoria: My favorite book that I have written is Untraditional Love In The Dark because women have to accept the fact many of us are now married to or have dated a gay or bisexual man. We have to learn to discuss this taboo.



Andrea: Has your work as an educator influenced your writing style or writing goals in any way?



Victoria: Yes, most definitely. I started out teaching Reading at Miami-Dade College. I learned a great deal about grammar and writing. I then used this knowledge to interact with more people because I offered personal tutoring services. It never failed, many of the adults wanted to talk about their personal lives after they became comfortable with me. I have written several children's book, which are not published. I plan to publish them in the future. My interaction with my students influenced me to write those books.



Andrea: Since you mentioned that writing is therapy, and you continue to write daily, how do you find time to write? Do you keep a journal?



Victoria: I wake-up earlier on some days to write before going to work. While I am on the expressway heading to work, I think about new ideas. While I am heading home from work, I think about new ideas while I am stuck in rush hour traffic. When I get home, I write down my thoughts in a Composition Book or on College-Rule Paper.



Andrea: Do your students know that you write books? What strategies have you used to get youth to read more?



Victoria: I work with high school students, so I have not told them about my writing career. I wouldn't want them to read some of the material in my books, and start asking me personal questions. Some of the teachers know that I am an author. They give me lots of support. I am a Reading Teacher who works with students who have failed the Standardized State Test. Most of the difficulties these students experience is related to comprehension and understanding text. I teach my students how to analyze, evaluate, and gather information from text. I teach my students how to question the text by answering the six reporter's questions: Who? What? When? Where? Why? and How? My students are taught to make predictions based on the title, images, search bold words, and use context clues. The best strategy to get youth to read is allowing them independent reading time. Students can still learn when they are allowed to select reading material of their choice. As the teacher, I provide a variety of grade level material the students can choose from such as: novels, magazines, and newspapers.



Andrea: What writing tip would you offer an aspiring young author?



Victoria: Have thick skin. This is not an easy journey, but it is well worth the rewards as you go through the process.



Andrea: What's next for you?



Victoria: I am in the process of editing my fourth book. I plan to get this book published. I am searching for an agent. I am going to put more dollars into advertising and marketing my books. I am going to enter more writing contests. I have plans to do several open mic appearances in the very near future. I am going to expand my activity on social media. I am definitely looking into hiring a publicist. I have an upcoming Virtual Book Tour and several interviews.



Andrea: In two lines or less, please pitch one of your books.



Victoria: There is nothing wrong with having the best of both worlds when all parties involved are aware of the true situation. Loving on the down-low is Untraditional Love In The Dark.


My website address is: http://www.victoriawarrenjackson.com

My book availability sites are:

Untraditional Love In The Dark
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/untraditional-love-in-the-dark-victoria-warren-jackson/1027809995?ean=9780970742643

Not Just Us
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/not-just-us-victoria-warren-jackson/1027804690?ean=9780970742650

Can You Feel Me? Intimate Poetry
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/can-you-feel-me-victoria-warren-jackson/1114532054?ean=9780970742636


No comments:

Post a Comment