Thursday, March 7, 2013

Excerpt from Zane's interview!


How did you get started writing erotic stories, and how many books have you authors to date? It was reported that you have penned 14 New York Times bestsellers. (Please correct the number, if this number needs adjusting.) That’s astounding—especially considering that you began as a self-published author! How did you transition to a major publishing deal? Did Simon and Schuster approach you?

I have 17 New York Times Bestsellers and a total of 30 books published to date. Yes, Simon and Schuster, along with several other publishers, first approached me. The irony of it all is that I never intended to be a publisher author in the beginning. It was a transition that happened very naturally and I fulfilled a prophecy that many of my teachers made in my younger years; that I would become a famous writer because of my imagination and creative writing skills.


I believe that I read in other interviews that coming out as Zane took five years, and a man even masqueraded as you. Were you ever concerned about people’s perceptions of your work, or that topics a woman explored could be considered taboo in the African-American community? What made you feel the time was right to make your identity known to the public?

Yes, I did live a double for five years and there were several people masquerading as me, including at least one male who did book signings and visited numerous book clubs. I was never concerned but I realized that publishing my first book, The Sex Chronicles: Shattering the Myth, would cause an uproar. Now publishers are constantly seeking someone to dethrone me but the horse left the stable about four laps before another one put on its blinders. :-) I only came out, so to speak, because I felt the need to promote my other authors in some capacity. If I had remained merely an author, instead of a major publisher, I would still be totally private. In many ways, I am still a very private person. Fame is of no interest to me and it is simply not that serious.

Erotica is sometimes criticized. However, while doing a bit of background research on your career, I read that you once stated that The New York Times called Addicted the hottest paperback in the country in 2000. When I saw the rising popularity of Fifty Shade of Grey, I automatically thought of stories that you already told. How did you feel about the mainstream, enthusiastic reception of Fifty Shades of Grey?

Actually, that article ran in 2001 and I have not read Fifty Shades of Grey so I have no feelings on it. The one thing that is clear is that it cannot possibly be the first time that erotica has gone mainstream or made the Times list. That fact is not in dispute.

Do your novels cross cultural and racial boundaries like your anthologies? Do book cover appearances influence buying decisions, or is exposure in
chain stores more important?

Yes, they do crossover but not as much as books by my white counterparts. All I can say is that that is a tragedy, not simply in my case but in the case of other authors of color who do not receive recognition for writing that should be embraced globally. Exposure in chain stores is important as well and one reason why books like Fifty Shades take off is because they are put in the line of vision of everyone. Rarely do you even see African-American titles in certain stores like airport chains and even at large retailers like Wal-Mart and Target, we are sequestered to a particular section. That includes those of us who are Times Bestsellers. It is amazing that authors that I have actually placed higher than on the lists are given prime placement and I am placed on side aisles.

I also read that you say that your novels have very little do with sex. Addicted is indeed full of page-turning drama that proves your ability to tell good stories, period. Can you tell readers the status of Addicted coming to the big screen?
What keeps you grounded from day-to-day?

Addicted has completed principal photography and is anticipated to be in theaters nationally in 2013. The exact release date has not yet been determined by the studio. I stay grounded because I work around the clock and because fame is not of importance to me; not at all. I love to create and that is what it is all about for me.


As a publisher, what is the number one tip that you would give a struggling author who is striving toward a publishing deal, in these economic times?

Not to over think the process and not to concentrate on a publishing deal more than honing the craft of writing. Even in tough economic times, when a publisher or agent reads something exceptionally, they make exceptions. It is as simple as that. As a publisher, it amazes me that material that some people submit. If they are not taking a writing career seriously enough to even read back through their work, use spell check or to have it properly edited first, then why should I take them seriously and expend time and effort on their work?


What’s your latest book release or project?

My latest hard copy book is Z-Rated: Chocolate Flava 3, the third in a four-part series of erotic anthologies. Busy Bodies: Chocolate Flava 4 comes out in August. For the first time, I did an original ebook for Christmas called Everything Fades Away about two people who meet on Black Friday and embark upon a tumultuous and sensual love affair.


Please tell us a little about Zane’s The Jump Off.

Zane's The Jump Off premieres on March 29th on Cinemax and once again I set out to challenge myself and to accomplish something ground-breaking. I feel like I have done that. It is about five fraternity brothers in their early to mid-thirties who reside in Miami, FL, their bond with each other and their relationships with the women in their lives. One is married, one is divorced, one is legally separated and two are single and ready to mingle. I am excited to see the audience reaction to this show. If nothing else, it is unlike anything that has EVER been done but I am sure it will be copied like my first series.

To all Zane lovers, don't forget to tune in to her new show this month. Would you like to read more?

See: The Spice Pages
http://issuu.com/bloggertime/docs/february_s_spice_pages_issue_for_grove_street


Don't forget to subscribe. You can also find us on Facebook.






No comments:

Post a Comment