Thursday, March 7, 2013

Reflecting on Women's History Month. In pursuit of equality.

I've written my share of books about women with fire in their bellies and scandalous behavior on their minds. In the real world though, I can't relate to anything other than striving to earn my place in this world.

My start began with my head buried in school books. I was one of about four minorities in my first year law class--one of two women--out of hundreds of students in the Midwest. I was a spectacle in a racist environment. I didn't see my differences as obstacles, until I was unkindly reminded by them when racist jokes floated into my ears,
when a male classmate turned his back to me during a group assignment, and when I raised my hand to speak but curious eyes fried my skin. With that said, I didn't have a great experience at an HBCU either. I was deemed too light completed and too thin. Would I ever fit in? And according to society, your paycheck reflects what you're worth, not what you are capable of doing. That's why building opportunities can hold incredible value. No, it's not easy to start any venture. However, I'd rather mold clay that sits in my hands, rather than to wait for instructions regarding how to shape it. Growing up, I was always told the world loves a winner. How true. When an idea clicks, a founder is never short on believers, friends or people ready to do business with him or her. An instant fan club appears on behalf of any victor.

As a woman I've learned that my journey entails doing the best that I can to be proactive and diligent. The world owes me absolutely nothing. That's made me accept that my degrees mean less than my ability to navigate through life better. It's my job to uncover every 'yes.'

This month, I acknowledge the sacrifices that brave, determined women of all backgrounds and races have made through old-fashioned hard work. I especially admire those who didn't inherit a Rolodex of contacts, and those who solely made it on their own merit. When it comes to achievement, there is so much I could say about sacrificing to evolve. There is sour to recall, but the sweetest moments come from pounding the pavement, no matter what flavor life brings. Not giving up is a common theme in so many journeys. Pictured below are a few women whom I celebrate. Women often receive less pay and respect than male counterparts. However, the boldest among us try every door until one opens wide enough to walk through. God's grace helps me to persevere. How about you? Celebrate yourself. Believe that your worth is priceless. Perhaps that's where success partially begins.


Note: Rosa Parks is pictured with her birthday cake, compliments of Sweet Bobbies Cake Creations.

http://www.sweetbobbies.com/Sweet_Bobbies/Welcome.html











No comments:

Post a Comment